Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Chalk" reflection

In the film Chalk it is difficult to tell is the teachers shown are good actors or bad teachers, it is so believable. Some parts of Chalk reminded me of my own high school. In many of the classrooms the students seemed to have control of the classroom and teachers. The students seemed to be "too cool" to be there, which is something that is very present in classrooms today.
The way some of these teachers presented themselves seemed simply unprofessional and in return unrespected. This was particularly evident with the first year history teacher who obviously had no confidence in himself, and when a student's parent immediately asked about his experience and commented on the way he presented himself-energy level, eye contact and body language, I found the encounter very real and believable.
Another teacher who stood out to me was the third year social studies teacher because he had a serious problem with being too friendly with the students and sarcasm, which is something I occasionally have a problem with (sarcasm). The way he used sarcasm in the classroom seemed completely unprofessional and quite confusing from a students perspective.
This film is very entertaining as well as educational on a teachers, "what no to do's". It is also an eye opener on how the first years of teaching and difficulties encountered.

1 comment:

  1. I could also see a few similarities between Chalk and my high school. I think it is so easy to criticize first year teachers, but then I put myself in their shoes, and wonder what challenges I will face in motivating and teaching students.

    ReplyDelete