Friday, May 8, 2009

Lost Generation?

I think that if a person can watch this video and not feel upset or discomforted they don't realize what responsibility our future generations hold, and the hole we have dug them. I found this video upsetting because I know there is truth behind it. "I am part of a lost generation and I refuse to believe that I can change the world" is hard to hear when I think that people my age and younger feel this way. I remember being in elementary school hearing parents and teachers tell me i can be and do whatever I want, which made me hopeful. It makes me sad to think that children may not have the same hope I grew up with.
It is hard to think that we have made and left a huge mess for future generations to live with, weather they strive for a change or allow the mess that we have created to continue is in their hands - which is a huge responsibility.
Something needs to be done for the younger generations and I think it needs to start with our schools. I believe that schools need to stop making everything to painful and straightforward. We need to stop emphasizing math and science because you can become a doctor and make lots of money, this reflects poor values. I think schools need to incorporate more humanistic classes and realize mistakes society has made, so they can learn from them. I think schools need to implement creativity, and i believe through creativity and art people can become more connected with the earth. Motivating our children to save the earth could be difficult to do because I'm not sure if could understand the trouble we've gotten them into. I would hope that they see the importance of our earth and agree to work for the good of the earth in order to help their future children.
This video is real and there should be more like them. Change needs to happen, and I think the best way for it to occur is through education.

No comments:

Post a Comment